Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Kendall Buster- Written Reflection



Kendall Buster Written Reflection

I really like Kendall Buster's work. It's both beautiful to look at and so unique in style and material. I feel like it can communicate a number of different subjects depending on the shape and context of the piece. The image above makes me think about a never ending cycle with the shape of the subject and its continuos ridges and billowiness. In my opinion, I respond this way because of the light and translucent appearance of the work. It not only makes me think about never ending time, but the transitioning and eventual fading of life through its coloring and opacity. My own experiences make me highly judgmental of this work with my limited perspective. Although I feel I relate and comprehend Kendall Buster's  work better than Puryear's pieces. In some ways, I notice an emotional connection forming between me and this piece. I created a meaning for the work and now it has some sort of significance in my mind. The material gives the piece its essence and presence. Not only is is transparent, but it adds just a hint of color to the otherwise barren shape. As the form gives the piece its character and purpose. I really love how the indentations add to the roundedness of the work. The smell of the piece would be breezy almost as the shape is so light and transparent or maybe a slight smell of cloth of some form. I think the overall textural appearance of the piece is smooth, but my mind keeps suggesting it will feel like a cotton fabric of some kind. This artwork will take different forms from the perspective of the viewer and I think that was Kendall Buster's point. The shape will be consistent, but the overall appearance will vary depending on the viewer's position. Kendall Buster uses form as well as his use of opaque material to emphasize shape and space. In my opinion, Buster references various forms of everyday elements through his use of roundness. The piece could easily be imagined as large tires or various other everyday round objects that people subconsciously comprehend. In someway it could also be metaphorical and represent a cycle or the monotony of everyday life with its ups and downs as well as it ridges and bumps. 



No comments:

Post a Comment