Thursday, February 21, 2013

Martin Puryear- Written Reflection



Martin Puryear- Written Reflection 

Martin Puryear's work is quite unique in my opinion. It doesn't fit the spectrum of art that I usually can comprehend. He utilizes different mediums from wood to metals to create unique pieces that can either have this ornate geometric style to a more organic shape or maybe even something in between. I feel he communicates the simplicity and coherence of his works. Personally, I especially liked the aspect of the contradictoriness of the separate pieces.  His realm of thought is outside my perspective unless he explains his mental process. I respond this way because of Puryear's perspective is dramatically different from my own. The image I placed above is one of the works I enjoyed the most. It makes me imagine the piece as a dinosaur with a small tetherball around its neck. Also, I really enjoy the whimsical, organic neck of the work and it makes me feel intrigued as well as amused all at once. I feel the use of the organic shape of the neck relates back to the original form of the wood as a tree. Its placed against this rough geometric shape of the body and I really like that aspect. The form gives the piece and overall flow from the flow of the head and neck to rigidly shaped body. I feel the piece would have a beautiful fresh wood smell and maybe a hint of wood varnish. Also, in my opinion, the texture would be more fluid and smooth on the organic neck and more rigid on the body. Puryear uses form to give the piece an interesting perspective no matter the location of the viewer. The complexity of the body gives one perspective of the piece, while the smooth organic neck gives a completely contradictory meaning. One universal element Puryear uses is the shape of the neck. Many recognize the neck shape from the brontosaurus dinosaur. He also utilizes  the use of his material to give off a certain element to the work that could otherwise be lost. Even though at first I was bewildered by Puryear's perspective, I have come to respect and appreciate his work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment