Saturday, November 2, 2013

American Horror Story: Murder House- Appreciation Post




American Horror Story: Murder House Appreciation Post

Now I know this is a very different show than I normally talk about, but I just spent the last twenty-four hours binge watching the first season of this show. It is great. The design of this show is amazing I love it so much. All the scary aspects of horror are placed in this show, but its well done and a new twist is added to these usually cliched elements. A brief synopsis of the show is your basic "American Family" moves into this house where its previous home owners were brutally murdered. After further research, the family discovers a number of people have died in or around this house. As they learn of all these deaths, you discover the imperfections of the family as well. 


One of the best points about the show is each episode begins with a specific person or group of people's deaths. It explains the back story of why certain ghostly characters are the way the are. Then throughout the episode aspects of their death are reawakened. I really love this tone of the show. One important thing this show has that makes it so great is consistency. I feel some horror movies/shows lose this after a while, but even within each episode a consistent theme is displayed and it works really well. Besides the great interior design of the house, each character has their own style and qualities that make the show all the more interesting. 


Although, I feel my favorite feature of the show is its intro. I love it so much. The combination of the music, the sharp cuts between various scary or suspenseful images really contributes to the entire show. It gives the viewer the essence of terror with a basic understanding of the show, without giving any of the story away. It could almost work as a stand alone art piece, but I love that it's combined with such a well done storyline. I'm looking forward to watching the second season and hope I'm not disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment