Monday, November 18, 2013

Kiki's Delivery Service Appreciation Post



Kiki's Delivery Service Appreciation Post 

Kiki's Delivery Service is a childhood film that I hold dearly to my heart. It was created by the renown Japanese animation studio, Studio Ghibli. As a child I always remembered how different it looked in comparison to all the Disney films I'd watch like Beauty and the Beast. I think its the design qualities that stood out to me. The backgrounds of the film are visually detailed from the streets in the town Kiki is training in to the bakery she helps out. Kiki and the other characters are designed so endearingly. Kiki is a witch in training that must leave home for a year, so she leaves home and finds a large town by the ocean. Here she works very hard and creates her own flying delivery service. Through trials and friendships Kiki learns about believing in herself and letting that belief fuel her powers.


Overall, I love the various atmospheres in Kiki's world. From her childhood home to her friend the artist's cottage in the woods, Kiki's world is so warm and inviting. I would love to live there since it's so cozy. If you're looking for a film that's sweet, warm, and nice simple tale Kiki's Delivery Service is for you. Another thing I love is all the food in this film. I feel a lot Studio Ghibili films has the quality. They make you want to eat and try all the foods the characters are surrounded by. Also, I love the mixture of magic and realism in this film. Kiki can fly and such, but otherwise the story is highly realistic and tells more about her coming of age. There isn't any sign of sparks and such. It makes the film all the more interesting with the hints of magic you see. Kiki's Delivery Service is more about the magic within than external magic and that's what makes this film a gem. 



1 comment:

  1. I love the backgrounds in these movies so much. I can't handle the handpainted awesomeness! It's so great! The animation is so fluid too the characters become very believable and easy to connect with.

    ReplyDelete