Monday, March 4, 2013

Description of First Chair Design




Description of First Chair Design

Let me just say this and get it out of my system . . . I hated this assignment!  This chair really had too many requirements and limited my ability to think, excuse my phrasing, outside the box. I really did not like this first chair project. It challenged me, but not in a good way. I'm an illustration major and I feel I get wrongfully judged. My craftsmanship skills are not up to par with industrial design majors, even when I try my best. I measured twice and cut once, but still my cardboard didn't fold smoothly and had bumps. It wasn't symmetrical, although I did like this aspect and I found it unique to an extent. All in all, this assignment made me really mad. I feel like these foundation classes are heavily industrial design centered and find it unfair for the other majors especially graphic design and illustration, but I guess it did its job. I was able to make a chair out of one piece of four foot by foot cardboard without glue or tape and was able to sit on it. We shall see what I can do next with less rules and a more well thought out design. 





No comments:

Post a Comment