Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Cardboard Life Appreciation Post





My Cardboard Life Appreciation Post

My Cardboard Life is a webcomic by Philippa Rice. It's about the main protagonist Cardboard Colin and his array of crafted friends. Each comic is made using actual paper, cardboard, or whatever Philippa feels like using to get her story across. This experimentation has given her comic a completely unique and individual style. Also, her comics are very witty and cover a variety of subjects.
They are beautifully drawn and designed, their simplicity is what makes them so attractive. Her stories are interesting and sweet. I also love the fact that she lie in the U.K. it makes her stories and characters all the more endearing. When I read Philippa's comics I have an overwhelming sense of coziness and nostalgia. Her comics relate to anyone's childhood to whimsical fantasies. She also wittily plays with aspects of her manipulatable world. 

Her characters are also well-developed. They feel like people you actually know in life. Paper Pauline is a snobby, selfish girl, but you still love her. Cardboard Colin is a pushover that's too kind for his own good and the Polar Bear is just a mean jerk with no real reason to be mean. Her comics have this fluidity that I love, they can either be intensely detailed or very minimal based upon the plot. Overall the design, story, and characters make Phillippa Rice's My Cardboard Life a comic to remember. On this last note I leave you with a video of her making one of her comics...





No comments:

Post a Comment