Monday, October 29, 2012

Parts of the Letter Reflection




Parts of the Letter Reflection 

It's interesting that typography evolved from handwriting. The concept that letters are separated from each other by the use of various strokes and we automatically know this is amazing. Our minds are taught to accept certain strokes to form the letter A, B, and so on. There actually is a visual harmony between the letters of the alphabet, being a design major I need to learn this. Serif is the short strokes that finish off the major. X-height is interesting. Many lower case x's heights are different, but all have the same point size. Both c's and p's have a bowl that's a rounded form that describes and counter and can either be open or closed. There are so many words covering the varying parts of different letters to the apex on W's and A's to ascenders and descenders. I really found all this information really interesting. My favorite vocabulary word used was tail for the letter Q. Even though I am an Illustration major, I find the structure of typography important. I feel if you are going to work in the design industry you need to know as much as possible. So this letter reading really helped me in starting to learn the proper terms for each stroke and character. 

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! I'm a graphic designer, and I can see lots of possibilities for turning this into a custom font.

    Would you mind sending me a high-res file? I'd love to try creating a font.

    ReplyDelete