Monday, October 1, 2012

Understanding Comics Reflection




Understanding Comics Reflection 


From within the book Understanding Comics a unique take on the expressionism and world of comics is formed. Symbols are one of the universal creations within comics. Common symbols are used within various comics to represent the five senses as well as other emotions or actions. Also, symbols represent the language in which mankind can relate to one another. I really enjoyed this view on not only comics and how they're created, but the messages conveyed within each image. I found the fact that people relate more to abstract and iconic images of a person, than a realistic image. This is because we do not have a solid knowledge of our own appearance. We as people have a general idea of our given appearance, but not a complete understanding or idea. Yet, our brains can see faces in the most abstract of things like two dots and a line. I also like how blatantly the narrator explains how people would rather listen to his cartoony version of himself rather than a more realistic styled version. An obvious example would be the comic Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson, if Hobbes appeared as only a stuffed animal the entire time, the audience wouldn't be able to relate to him or Calvin's vivid imagination. Hobbes's iconic image makes him relatable as an adorable friend to the extreme Calvin. The things I learned from this comic about comics really stuck with me. Also, the aspect of things not existing was an interesting subject. The reading provided me with inspiration for my storyboards and also made me more excited about starting my studies in the illustration department. 

No comments:

Post a Comment